WILLIAM S. O’BRIEN MEMORIAL MASONIC SCHOLARSHIP
SUNCOAST MASTERS MASON ASSOCIATION
A not-for-profit organization serving Masonic Lodges in the
18th Masonic District of Florida.
Click here for the Suncoast Master Mason Scholarship Application
WILLIAM S. O’BRIEN
The Association’s Scholarship is named after William (Bill) S. O’Brien who founded the Scholarship Committee and fund to help local students. W:. Bill was a Past Master of Gulf Beach Lodge No. 291 F.& A.M. in Madeira Beach, Florida (1991) but was devoted to supporting students throughout the Tampa Bay area, not just in his hometown, and championed the Association’s Scholarship Committee for a number of years. Regrettably, Bill passed away in December 2003. His enthusiasm and guidance is greatly missed by all.
|2014||Megan Reinhart||NorthEast High School|
|2013||Megan Daniella Fitzgerald||St. Petersburg High School|
|2011||Kelly Nicole Hallisey||Gulf High School|
|2010||Melissa Dohme||Clearwater High School|
|2009||Heather L. McShane||Boca Ciega High School|
|2008||Brittany Nicole Lyp||Eastlake High School|
|2007||Jesse Garrett O’Shea||Palm Harbor University High School|
|2006||Ryan Joseph Mills||Palm Harbor University High School|
|2005||Sarah Julian Donnini||Seminole High School|
|2004||Thanh Dieu Thi Doan||Gulf High School|
|2003||Nicole Lagtapon Guevara||Dunedin High School|
|2002||Joshua Mark Trulock||Palm Harbor University High School|
|2001||Amanda O’Sullivan||Clearwater High School|
Suncoast Master Mason Association
William S. O’Brien Memorial Masonic Scholarship
All Graduating High School Seniors and graduates in Pinellas County (Boca Ciega, Clearwater, Countryside, Dixie Hollins, Dunedin, East Lake, Gibbs, Lakewood, Largo, Northeast, Osceola, Palm Harbor, Pinellas Park, Seminole, St. Petersburg and Tarpon Springs) who will be attending a State of Florida Supported School (college, university, community college or division of higher education governed by the State Board of Regents) during the following term (semester or quarter). The applicant must enter the school within one semester/quarter (excluding summer sessions) after having been awarded the scholarship.
A 1,000 word essay on the topic “Why Education is Important.” All work must be original and the essay becomes the property of The Grand Lodge of Florida.
March 31st, 2017. The application and essay must be postmarked on that date or in the possession of the Sun coast Masters & Wardens Association Secretary.
ESSAY CONTEST FORMAT
1. The essay should be typed using Times New Roman type case.
2. Type size should be 12 pt.
3. The essay, including the cover page, should be double spaced with no additional spaces between paragraphs.
4. The essay should be typed using standard indentation at the beginning of each paragraph.
5. The standard margin should be one inch (1 in.) top, bottom, left, and right.
6. The essay should have a cover page. Centered on the cover page, top to bottom and between the margins should be the following: title of essay, author’s full name, name of school at which currently enrolled.
7. Pages should be numbered beginning with the title page as page 1. Page numbers should be in the upper right corner of each page.
8. Each page should contain a header, also in the upper right, which contains the author’s last name. Should the title page be separated from the essay, this will provide for immediate identification. If MS Word is used to prepare the essay, the inclusion of a header and page number may be preset. Refer to MS Word Help for instructions on the use of headers.
9. The exact word count should be included at the end of the essay. If the author utilizes MS Word, the word count can be printed automatically. Refer to MS Word Help for directions.
10. The essay will be judged based on content, grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, and other such aspects of proper language usage and essay construction.
11. It is strongly recommended that the author ask a member of the school’s English faculty to review the essay for format, style, content, and construction.